Thought Equity Motion Blog
A video-powered discussion of news, culture, sports, and history.
90 Years Since Prohibition Began in the United States
Below is a brief video timeline of the Prohibition Era, which began 90 years ago.
(NOTE: Move mouse over clips to preview. Click clip for details.)
On January 16, 1919, the Eighteenth Amendment was enacted in the United States putting a ban on the sale, manufacture and transport of alcohol.
Throughout prohibition, bootlegging became widespread as the government was unable to fully enforce the new law.
Underground bars known as speakeasies became a popular destination for music, dancing and alcohol. At one time, there was estimated to be between 30,000 and 100,000 speakeasy clubs in New York City.
Often time speakeasies were run by individuals connected to organized crime and corruption was commonplace as police officers would accept bribes in return for advance notice of raids.
Though Prohibition still had its followers, the act became increasingly unpopular during the Great Depression. On December 5, 1933, the ratification of the Twenty-first Amendment repealed the Eighteenth Amendment.
Click here to view more archival video clips related to prohibition in the United States.
Sign up and get access to our entire stock footage library, free comp downloads, free research and video clip bin tools.
- Hurricane Season Has Begun
- Celebration of Juneteenth
- A Decade Since the Execution of Timothy McVeigh
- 25 years of The Oprah Winfrey Show
- Retracing the Past: 50th Anniversary of the Freedom Rides
- Nelson Mandela’s South African presidency
- End of the Zeppelin Era: The Hindenburg Disaster
- The Kent State Shootings 41 years later
- 12th Anniversary of the Columbine High School Shooting
- The Season of the Tornado
- The First Human orbits the Earth 50 years ago
- Commemorate the legacy of MLK 43 years later
- Thank you for the memories Elizabeth Taylor
- The Luck of the Irish, Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
- Keep Up, We’re SPRINGING Forward!
- Commemorate Ronald Reagan’s Centennial Birthday
- 2010: Where Were You When…
- Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Thought Equity Motion!
- 30 Years Since the Death of John Lennon
- Harry Potter: The Final Chapter…almost.
- Don’t give winter the cold shoulder!
- Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what television can do for an election
- 15 years ago, OJ Simpson receives not guilty verdict
- Wild and Wacky Video Clips
- I’m not laughing at you…
- 8 years ago today, 9 miners rescued in PA
- Historical events take center stage in Mad Men
- 2010 NBA Draft
- Remembering Farrah Fawcett One Year Later
- Cannes Film Festival
- Kentucky Derby
- Happy Earth Day!
- Slowhand Turns 65
- 25th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions
- Historic American Winter Olympic Moments
- President Obama’s First Year in Office
- 90 Years Since Prohibition Began in the United States
- Happy 75th Birthday, Elvis Presley!
- Happy New Year!
- Happy Holidays!
- Remembering John Lennon 29 Years After His Death
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- Remembering the Occupation of Alcatraz
- 20th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall
- The Guggenheim Museum Celebrates 50 years
- BBC Motion Gallery and Thought Equity Motion Enter Into Strategic Relationship
- President Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize
- A look back at 2004 Indian Ocean Earthquake video footage
- Arctic ice at third smallest area on record
- President McKinley’s 1901 funeral procession video
- NCAA President Myles Brand Remembered
- CEO Kevin Schaff speaking at IBC in Amsterdam on Leveraging Video Archives
- "No words can ease the ache of your hearts" - Obama
- Four decades later, The Beatles are back
- The Rose of Rhodesia rediscovered and available for online viewing
- Learning from Past Flu Pandemics
- Remembering Senator Ted Kennedy
- Record breaking moments caught on video
- US-built electric cars becoming a reality
- A Glimpse into Woodstock 1969 Through Classic Video